The Provincial Parent Association Advisory Committee on Special Education Advisory Committees (PAAC on SEAC) was established in 1983 and is the only group in Ontario that brings together provincial parent associations to communicate and co-operate on issues pertaining to SEACs.Special Education Advisory Committees (SEACs) are set up by each Board of Education under Regulation 464/97 to:
- make recommendations to the board with respect to any matter affecting the establishment, development, and delivery of special education programs and services for exceptional pupils of the board;
- participate in the board\’s annual review of its special education plan;
- participate in the board\’s annual budget process as it relates to special education;
- review the financial statements of the board as they relate to special education;
- provide information to parents, as requested.
PAAC, and its member organizations, encourage valuable partnerships among trustees, educators, voluntary associations and parents. PAAC on SEAC members have been working closely to improve SEAC effectiveness and communication, and to assist Ontario\’s students with special education needs through our shared advocacy.PAAC on SEAC has an extensive communication network, through which our member associations can reach SEAC members in a majority of the province\’s school boards. The provincial parent associations and their representatives are valuable resources not only to each other and to SEACs but also to the Ministry of Education, school board officials, service providers, parents and the community at large.PAAC on SEAC meets about 8 times per year. We receive updates from the Ministry of Education concerning changes in government policies and programs and we provide feedback about implications relating to SEAC members.PAAC members have conducted provincial surveys of SEAC membership, practices and training needs, and have created and distributed:
- PAAC on SEAC 2020 Survey Executive Summary & Action Items
- Report on Results of PAAC on SEAC 2020 Survey
- PAAC on SEAC Effective Practices Handbook for SEAC Members
- PAAC on SEAC Annual Calendar for SEAC
- PAAC on SEAC Supporting Effective SEACs 2013 (PDF File)
- Regular updates on topical issues concerning SEAC roles and contributions
- PAAC on SEAC Funding Resource Guide Updated November 2018
PAAC on SEAC currently has 16 member provincial parent associations and invites other provincial parent associations that support SEAC members to join.
Click here to read PAAC on SEAC Terms of Reference To find out more, please contact the Co-Chairs, at: email@example.comCo-chairs: Alison Morse, Tracy Grant, Theresa SandersWritten correspondence may be directed to:PAAC on SEAC c/o Easter Seals Ontario, One Concorde Gate, Suite 700, Toronto, M3C 3N6